- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Chicago pizza is a unique and famous pizza from Chicago. But how is Chicago pizza different from the pizza served in New York, London, or Italy?
First, the crust is about 2.5 inches deep, or about 6.35 cm. It is cooked like a pie in a deep, round pan. The pan has a lot of olive oil, so the crust becomes crunchy on the bottom.
For toppings, the pizza usually has about 1/4 inch of sausage, 1/4 inch of cheese, and 1/4 inch of chunky tomato sauce. Other popular ingredients include pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms, and olives.
No one know exactly who made this style of pizza first, because several restaurants claim to be the creators. However, everyone from Chicago has a favorite pizza restaurant, and they feel very strongly that it is the best pizza.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- Do you like pizza? What kind of pizza do you like?
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- How is Chicago pizza different from other pizzas?
- Who made the first Chicago-style pizza?
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- Do you want to try Chicago pizza? Why/not?
- Does your hometown or country have an unusual / unique dish? Please explain.