- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Healthy food is very important. Unfortunately, many people are very busy, so they eat fast food. It is an easy and convenient choice, but it can be very unhealthy. Fast food has a lot of fat, sugar, and salt. It has a lot of calories too. For example, just a large order of fries might have more than 500 calories, and more than half of the calories come from fat.
It is possible to make good choices with fast food, though. For example, you shouldn't order the largest drink or dish. Salad dressing and mayonnaise has a lot of unhealthy calories, so you should only use a little. Many restaurants also serve healthier side dishes, such as fruit cups. You should order these instead of fries or chips.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- Are you healthy? Why/not?
- Do you want to be healthier? Why/not?
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- What does the first paragraph talk about?
a. It talks about how many calories are in the food.
b. It explains why people eat fast food.
c. It introduces fast food and why it is not healthy.
d. The first paragraph talks about people who are unhealthy.
- What does the second paragraph talk about?
a. It recommends drinks and salad dressings.
b. It talks about healthy food at fast food restaurants.
c. The second paragraph also talks about unhealthy food.
d. It talks about restaurants with only healthy food.
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- How often do you eat fast food?
- What fast food restaurants do you usually eat at?
- Do you have a favorite fast food meal? Why is it so good?