City of London financiers have discovered the perfect way to splurge their annual bonuses. They are opting for cosmetic surgery to maintain a youthful appearance in a fiercely competitive job market. Business is booming in nose jobs, wrinkle fillers, liposuction, and botox relaxants as a means to repair or slow the ravages of time.
Operations rose by a third to over 22,000 last year, and it isn't just women who are electing for cosmetic surgery. Eleven percent of this total comes from men, and the number has been rising steadily. Mel Braham, chairman of the Harley Medical Group, said there is a greater overall awareness that men have as much right as women to look as good as possible.
But there's more to it. Braham explained that a man who is approaching 50, but looks more like 60, feels concern over his job stability. He doesn't want to be ousted in favor of younger blood, and so cosmetic surgery would give him another 10 years in the chair. Even better is to start treatments early rather than late, to give yourself the best chance of looking good. "Better to attack the small blemish first," he added.
Although the most requested surgeries include nose reshaping and the removal of love handles, next on the horizon is an effective remedy for baldness. It would give the already thriving industry an enormous boost. Trials are already underway in Britain for a hair regeneration treatment, the challenge of which is to make sure the hair grows quick enough, and thick enough, to be cosmetically acceptable.
Prices range from £200 for botox injections to £6,000 for a facelift.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- I'm very concerned with my appearance. I don't want to grow old!
- I would consider cosmetic surgery to make myself more attractive to the opposite sex.
- Research shows that beautiful people have better-paid, more stable jobs. I would consider cosmetic surgery if I could get paid more.
- Cosmetic surgery is a waste of money!
- Only someone who is shallow and vain would consider cosmetic surgery.
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- Business is booming in nose jobs, wrinkle fillers, liposuction, and botox relaxants as a means to...
- Eleven percent of this total comes from men, and...
- Braham explained that a man who is approaching 50, but looks more like 60, feels...
- Although the most requested surgeries include nose reshaping and the removal of love handles, next on...
- Trials are already...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What are your feelings about a job that would force you to consider cosmetic surgery?
- Would you ever elect to have cosmetic surgery (or have you)? Why/not?
- Do you know anyone who has ever had cosmetic surgery? If yes, what was your opinion about the decision?
- Michael Jackson had a lot of cosmetic surgery. Do you think it helped or harmed his career? Why?
- Isn't it fair that older people step aside for the next generation to take control? Isn't plastic surgery upsetting the balance? Why/not?
Google Search: Type "cosmetic surgery" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.