If you live in or visit Japan, you may be asked, "What's your blood type?" The question has absolutely nothing to do with donating blood, illnesses, or medicine, at least not when asked by the average person. There's a popular notion that a person's blood type influences his personality, temperament, and romantic compatibility. Although far more popular in the island nation than the usual idea of star signs in the West, it's not so very different. In fact, it's hugely popular, as proven by the list of bestsellers for 2008. Four of the ten books to top the charts dealt with blood type and personality.
What can be said about personality types? Type A people are earnest and creative, but also perfectionists. Type B people are spontaneous, but also selfish and irresponsible. Type O can be vain and rude. On the positive side, they are curious and generous. As for people who are type AB, they are arty, but tend to be moody as well.
Of course, the scientific community in Japan considers the idea a sham. Unfortunately, not so the general public. Matchmaking services look to blood types when introducing men and women, for example. Women's magazines stock their pages with articles, romantic advice, and predictions too. Some companies have been known to assign projects based on the blood of employees. And more than a few employers regularly query interviewees about their blood type, with the intention of determining which prospective applicants may or may not provide a good fit with the existing corporate structure.
It boils down to discrimination, and even comes with a term: "bura-hara." "Bura" stands for blood, and "hara" stands for harassment. It also doesn't seem likely to diminish in popularity any time soon.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Your birth year has an effect on your personality.
- Your birth month has an effect on your personality.
- Your blood type has an effect on your personality.
- Horoscopes should be followed closely because they offer good advice.
- There are certain colors, numbers, and animals that are luckier than other colors, numbers, and animals.
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- If you live in or visit Japan, you may be asked...
- There's a popular notion that a person's blood type influences...
- Type B people are...
- Women's magazines stock their pages with...
- Some companies have been known to...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What do you think about blood types? Do they really affect personality?
- How accurate are horoscopes? Why do you think so?
- Do you think some signs or blood types are more compatible in relationships? Why/not?
- If a horoscope predicted love, money, or problems, would you look for love, money, or problems? Why/not?
- Why do people follow horoscopes and pay attention to things like blood type? Please explain your opinion.
Google Search: Type "blood type" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.