UFO Science Could Combat Global Warming
- Parent Category: Advanced News Lessons
- Category: Environment Lesons
- Written by Chris Cotter
By 2020, the US will emit even more greenhouse gases than it does now, a recent report submitted to the UN stated. The United States, one of the world's largest polluters, already releases 25% of all pollutants responsible for global warming. What's worse, more and more scientists are concluding that global warming cannot be stopped. At best, we can limit how much the Earth will warm, as well as for how long. But even if all countries were to stop their greenhouse gas emissions tomorrow, temperatures would still rise.
The report is overdue, and should have been submitted to the UN much earlier. Some suggest that the report took longer to compile because the US government remains reluctant to tell the truth. In the future, global warming will severely affect the US and its economy. Opponents say that the US needs to do more, as its current policy only slows the growth rate of carbon dioxide and other gases. The administration doesn't have any policies enacted to actually reduce emissions.
At present, scientists are working to improve renewable energy resources, such as wind and solar power. They also conduct work to improve power plant efficiency. The US government spends $3 billion annually to research new technology, and $2 billion on climate research.
But maybe the answer to global warming is simpler. Paul Hellyer, a former Canadian defense minister from the 1960s, has called on all governments to come clean on UFOs. With the use of alien technology, he has explained, we could eliminate the burning of fossil fuels within a generation. Those spacecrafts have traveled immense distances to visit our planet, and so they must be equipped with advanced engines and energy systems.
UFOs have definitely crashed here, Hellyer has repeatedly said, pointing to the 1947 crash at Roswell as an example. Governments have alien technology secreted away. We could save our planet if only governments released the information.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Global warming is a myth.
- I don't care about global warming. It won't affect me or my generation.
- Humankind is doomed.
- The answer to global warming is solar energy, nuclear energy, and other renewable energy sources.
- If aliens are visiting Earth, they should teach us how to stop global warming.
True or False: Guess (before the article) or answer (after the article) whether the sentence is true or false. If false, correct the sentence.
- The U.S. will emit less greenhouse gases in 2020 than now.
- Global warming cannot be stopped.
- Global warming won't affect the U.S. economy in the future.
- Scientists are working with alien technology now to lower greenhouse gases.
- According to the article, governments have UFOs hidden away.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What are your opinions about global warming?
- What do you think the environment will be like in 25 years? 50 years? 100 years?
- Do you think aliens are visiting our planet? If yes, why?
- Do you think governments have alien technology hidden away? Why/not?
- If aliens are visiting Earth, should they help us solve our many problems? Why/not?
Google Search: Type "global warming" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.