- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Students go back to school in the fall. They choose new clothes and uniforms. They buy school supplies, such as pencils, erasers, and notebooks. They feel excited about teachers and classmates. However, there is also a serious problem. Many students forget a lot of science, math, and other subjects during the long vacation.
In the US, Europe, and many other countries, summer vacation is two months or more. When children go back to school, the teacher must review information from last year. In fact, students forget about two months of reading skills and more than two months of math skills.
Unfortunately, no one has fixed this serious problem.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- Do you like school? Why or why not?
- What is the best part about school? What is the worst part about school? Why?
Vocabulary: Check the new vocabulary in a dictionary. Then match the words.
- school supplies
- study again
- very important
- pencils, erasers, and notebooks
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- Are you excited when school starts? Why/not?
- What is your favorite subject in school? Do you remember the information easily?
- Is a long vacation for school a good idea? Why/not?