- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Mars One is an exciting chance to go to the red planet. This isn't a trip for tourists. This trip will take a lot more than three or four years. The people who go to Mars will never come back to Earth!
More than 2500 people filled out an application and paid money. But only four people can go. They will leave in 2025, and it will take seven months to travel to Mars. Two years later, four more people will travel there. And then two years later, four more people will travel there. By 2033, Mars One wants twenty people living on Mars.
The trip to Mars will become a reality TV program too. The four travelers will be videoed all day during the seven months.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- Where have you traveled to? List all of the countries and/or cities you have visited.
- What was your longest vacation? Where did you go? How long were you there?
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- What is Mars One?
- How many people will go in 2025? How about in 2027?
- What will happen to the travelers during their trip to Mars?
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- Do you want to go to Mars forever? Why/not?
- Do you want to go to Mars but come back to Earth? Why/not?
- Where do you want to go for a long time? How long do you want to go there?