- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
You can buy a hamburger in almost anywhere in the world. But do you know anything about the history of this simple sandwich?
There are several people who claim to have invented the hamburger. However, the honor probably goes to a small diner in Connecticut named Louis' Lunch. According to history, a customer wanted a quick hot meal to take home for dinner. Unfortunately, the diner was out of steaks, so the owner grilled ground beef and placed it between two slices of toast. There wasn't any ketchup, mustard, or cheese, though. This was 1900.
Since the simple beginnings, the hamburger has become the world's most famous sandwich.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- What is your favorite food? Why do you like it?
- What food do you hate? Why?
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- Everyone agrees that Louis' Lunch invented the hamburger. T / F
- The customer wanted dinner, so he ordered a hamburger. T / F
- The first hamburger was plain. T / F
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- Do you like hamburgers? How often do you eat them?
- What are some popular foods in your country? Please explain.
- Are there any popular foreign foods in your country? Please explain.