- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Many companies like online advertising. It's cheaper than traditional advertising in magazines and newspapers. Online advertising reaches more people too. And lastly, marketing departments can easily look at the data from online advertising and make changes to the advertisements.
There are many forms of online advertising. There are banner ads at the top of web pages, pop-up ads, and email ads. There are ads on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn too. The search history is also used to target advertising. For example, if you visit sports sites, then you see sports ads.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- What is advertising? Can you give some examples?
- Do you know any good advertisements? Please explain.
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- Why do companies like online advertising?
a. It's cheap.
b. It's seen by many people.
c. Companies can target customers.
d. All of the above.
- Where are banner ads?
a. They are at the top of web pages.
b. They are on all pages.
c. They are in emails.
d. They are on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- How often do you click website advertisements?
- Do you buy anything on the Internet? Please explain.