- Parent Category: Beginner English Students
- Category: Beginner Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Tattoos are a very old form of art all around the world. For example, some mummies from ancient Egypt had tattoos; Otzi, a man found who lived more than 5000 years ago and was found in the Italian Alps, had more than sixty tattoos; and Romans had tattoos too.
Different cultures use tattoos for different reasons. Experts think tattoos helped ancient Egyptian women with pregnancy and childbirth. Otzi's tattoos protected against illness. However, only criminals and prisoners in Rome had tattoos, so the reason was very negative
These days, people get tattoos for personal reasons. Some people get tattoos for religious reasons, other people get tattoos with the names or pictures of someone they love. And some people get tattoos just because they look cool. Whatever the reason, tattoos are a permanent part of society.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- What do you think about tattoos?
- What do you know about tattoos?
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- How old are tattoos?
- Why did people get tattoos a long time ago?
- Why do people get tattoos now?
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- Do you have a tattoo? If no, do you want a tattoo? Why/not?
- Are tattoos positive or negative in your country? Why?
- What do you think about colored hair, colored contact lenses, or pierced body parts?