Have Bonus, Will Botox
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Business Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Bankers in London are spending their bonuses in an unusual way. They are choosing cosmetic surgery to look younger because the job market is very competitive. The bankers are choosing nose jobs, wrinkle fillers, liposuction, and botox injections to slow the effects of age.
Operations increased to more than 22,000 last year, and both men and women are getting cosmetic surgery. In fact, men make up eleven percent of this total, and the percentage has increased every year.
Mel Braham, chairman of the Harley Medical Group, said that more men realize they need to look good. He explained that older men worry about their jobs, especially if they are 50 years old but look like they are 60. That person doesn't want a younger person to take his job. Braham also added that men should start these treatments early to look younger and healthier for a longer period of time.
Most men are asking to change the shape of their nose or get rid of their love handles. But there may soon be a remedy for baldness too. This would expand the business of cosmetic surgery for men even more.
At the moment, prices range from £200 for botox injections to £6000 for a facelift.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- I'm very concerned with my appearance. I don't want to grow old!
- I would consider cosmetic surgery to make myself more attractive to the opposite sex.
- I would consider cosmetic surgery if I could get paid more.
- Cosmetic surgery is a waste of money!
- Only someone who is shallow and vain would consider cosmetic surgery.
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- They are choosing cosmetic surgery to look younger...
- Operations increased to more than 22,000 last year, and both...
- Mel Braham, chairman of the Harley Medical Group, said that...
- Braham also added that men should start these treatments early to...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What are your feelings about cosmetic surgery?
- What are your feelings about a job that would force you to consider cosmetic surgery?
- Would you ever choose to have cosmetic surgery (or have you)? Why/not?
- Do you know anyone who has ever had cosmetic surgery? What was your opinion?
- Why do you think more people are so concerned with cosmetic surgery in general?
Google Search: Type "cosmetic surgery" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.