Color Predicts Personality
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Business Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
What color do you prefer? According to a recently developed test, this simple question may predict your personality. The new test takes about one minute to complete, and asks test-takers to order colored squares from most liked to least liked. For example, which color do you like the most, black, grey, or white? This test can help you choose jobs that match your personality profile. However, this test is unique because it doesn't have written questions, and it can easily be used all over the world as a result.
The test has already been taken by more than 750,000 people, and this figure includes many famous CEOs. Unsurprisingly, the test suggested that these CEOs would do well in upper-management positions. However, perhaps surprisingly, the test also suggested these CEOs would do well as social workers, artists, and teachers. They greatly preferred the colors magenta, red, and yellow. According to the test, these colors mean the person is less emotionally stable than others.
As more people take the test, the results will become more and more accurate. No one knows how or why color can show someone's personality, but the answer lies somewhere deep in the brain. In addition, the test may be helpful to find diseases of the brain like dementia, or even to help marketers and advertisers more accurately target their customers.
Expect to see more about colors in the near future.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- A test can accurately predict personality.
- Personality tests are very important for employers.
- Personality tests are very important for people because it tells them the perfect job.
- CEOs and other leaders need to have strong personalities.
- I want to change my personality!
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- According to a recently developed test, this simple question may...
- Unsurprisingly, the test suggested that these CEOs would...
- As more people take the test, the results will...
- Expect to see more about...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What do you think about personality tests in general? Please explain.
- What do you think about this personality test? Does it really work? Please explain.
- Have you ever taken a personality test? If yes, what were the results?
- How would you describe your personality?
- What sort of careers would suit your personality? Why do you think so?
Google Search: Type "personality test" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.