What's Your Blood Type?
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Culture Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
If you live in Japan, you may be asked, "What's your blood type?" There's a popular idea that a person's blood influences his personality, character, or romantic compatibility. In fact, it's so popular that four of the top ten bestselling books in 2008 focused on blood type and personality. It's quite similar to the usual idea of star signs in the West.
What can be said about personality types? Type A people are serious and creative, but they also want everything to be perfect. Type B people don't plan well, and they are also selfish and not responsible. Type O can be vain and rude. However, they are also curious and kind. As for people who are type AB, they are moody and arty.
Of course, the scientific community thinks the idea is ridiculous. Unfortunately, the general public seems to disagree. Matchmaking services think about blood types when they introduce men and women, for example. Women's magazines have a lot of information on blood type and the connection to romance, advice, and predictions for the future. Some companies even ask interviewees about their blood type because they want to know who will fit and who won't fit in the company or department.
In fact, there even is some discrimination, which is called "bura-hara." "Bura" means blood in Japanese, and "hara" means harassment.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Your birth year has an effect on your personality.
- Your birth month has an effect on your personality.
- Your blood type has an effect on your personality.
- Horoscopes should be followed closely because they offer good advice.
- There are some colors, numbers, and animals that are luckier than other colors, etc.
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- There's a popular idea that a person's blood influences...
- Matchmaking services think about blood types when...
- Women's magazines have a lot of information on blood type and the...
- In fact, there even is some discrimination, which...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What do you think about blood types? Do they really affect personality?
- What do you think about signs? Do they really affect personality?
- Do you think some signs or blood types are more compatible in relationships?
- If a horoscope predicted love, money, or problems, would you look for love, etc?
- How would you feel if you were discriminated against because of your blood type?
Google Search: Type "blood type" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.