Jealousy, Prejudice, and Short People
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Culture Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
A recent study discovered that short people are more likely to feel jealous. The research questioned more than 500 men and women from Denmark to Spain. They then used the data to discover which characteristics made people feel uncomfortable. Men and women were intimidated by money, strength, looks, and charm. However, shorter people felt more nervous than taller people.
In regards to evolution, this conclusion makes sense. Women who are average height or taller have the best health, popularity, and fertility with men. In addition, the study said taller men often have more success with women.
Other similar studies about height and modern culture agree. For example, tall men are more successful in business. In another study, a look at Fortune 500 companies showed that 58% of the CEOs were taller than six feet (169 centimeters), but only 14.5% of the US population was six feet. Moreover, taller people received better salaries than shorter people. One inch adds more than $750 to a person's salary each year.
The study finished by stating that prejudice towards shorter people isn't conscious.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Tall people are more successful.
- Short people are more jealous.
- Tall women generally aren't attracted to short men.
- Men generally aren't attracted to tall women.
- I'm a jealous person.
True or False?: Guess (before the article) or answer (after the article) whether the sentence is true or false. If false, correct the sentence.
- The researchers talked with only men about romance.
- Tall men are healthier, more popular, and more fertile.
- A person could still be jealous if his/her rival were taller.
- According to the article, tall men are more successful in the business world.
- The prejudice against short people is often on purpose.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- Would you consider yourself a jealous person? Why/not?
- Do you agree or disagree? Taller people enjoy more success in life.
- If people from other countries were interviewed, would the results be the same?
- If people from your country were interviewed, would the results be the same?
- Do you have any prejudices? Please explain.
Google Search: Type "jealousy" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.