Preparing for the Worst
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Environment Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Imagine a dark future that isn't too far away. There isn't much oil. The prices of goods and services have increased because of the cost of fuel. As a result, the economies of many countries have nearly crashed. Lastly, people who live in cities have become hungry and desperate. Some are even violent. Although most people believe is only science fiction, more and more people believe this is the fate of our civilization. In addition, many believe these problems will begin within the next few years.
The problem is oil, on which modern society has been built. However, the supply may soon begin to decrease, so survivalists have begun to prepare for the worst. They have moved to rural areas, learned to become self-sufficient, and have acquired guns to defend themselves.
Some of these survivalists believe that nothing can save the modern world, and so they prepare for the worst in secret. They will help no one. However, on the brighter side, a good number of survivalists also believe survivors will develop close communities in the future. The family unit will also have an important role in people's lives again.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- The future will be dark and difficult because of today's problems.
- The future will be dark because of today's problems within the next five years.
- The economies of many countries will crash if we run out of oil.
- If people think modern society will end soon, then they are crazy!
- After today's lesson, I'm going to prepare for the end of the world!
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- The prices of goods and services have increased because...
- In addition, many believe these problems will begin...
- The problem is oil, on which...
- The family unit will also have an important...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What do you think life will be like in a few years? How different will life be?
- Do you think the end of civilization is near? Please explain.
- What disaster or crisis would need to happen for you to become a survivalist?
- If modern civilization were to suddenly crash, would you be able to survive?
- Imagine it's the end of the world. What would you do to protect yourself / your family?
Google Search: Type "survivalists" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.