- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Environment Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
According to a report submitted to the UN, the US will emit more not less greenhouse gases by 2020. The US is already one of the world's largest polluters. It produces 25% of the pollution that causes global warming. Even worse, more and more scientists are concluding that we cannot stop global warming. If all countries stopped producing greenhouse gases tomorrow, then temperatures would still increase.
In the future, global warming will seriously affect the US and its economy. Opponents say that the US needs to do more. Its current policy only focuses on slowing the amount of carbon dioxide and other harmful gases which are released. The administration hasn't passed any policies that reduce emissions.
Scientists are working to improve wind and solar power at the moment. But maybe the answer to global warming is simpler. Paul Hellyer, a former Canadian defense minister from the 1960s, has asked all governments to release their information on UFOs. He has explained that we could find different, cleaner energy sources with the alien technology. Those spacecrafts have traveled great distances to visit our planet, so they must have advanced engines and energy systems.
He stated that UFOs have definitely crashed on the Earth. We could save our planet if governments didn't hide all of the alien technology.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Global warming is a myth.
- I don't care about global warming. It won't affect me or my generation.
- Humankind is doomed.
- The answer to global warming is solar energy and other renewable energy sources.
- If aliens are visiting Earth, they should teach us how to stop global warming.
True or False: Guess (before the article) or answer (after the article) whether the sentence is true or false. If false, correct the sentence.
- The US will emit less greenhouse gases in 2020 than now.
- Global warming cannot be stopped.
- Global warming won't affect the US economy in the future.
- Scientists are working with alien technology now to lower greenhouse gases.
- According to the article, governments have UFOs hidden away.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What are your opinions about global warming?
- Do you think governments are doing enough to stop global warming? Why/not?
- What can you do as an individual to reduce global warming?
- What do you think about Paul Hellyer's comments?
- If aliens are visiting Earth, should they help us solve our many problems? Why/not?
Google Search: Type "global warming" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.