- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Relationships Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
There are many online businesses these days. Some of these businesses are real, some are scams, and some are unusual. Olu O. Eniwaye, who is a professor at Daytona State College in Ohio, thought of a new idea. He wanted to sell marriage insurance online. After all, 50% of marriages end in divorce in the US. Relationships are more complex these days because couples marry later in their lives. For example, both men and women bring more money and debts to the marriage than before.
Surprisingly, the idea of marriage insurance isn't new. In England during the 1600s, insurance policies were common for marriages and births. However, this sort of insurance disappeared when England made this practice illegal in the early 1700s.
So what happens with Eniwaye's insurance policy? If you have bought marriage insurance and then get divorced, you will receive a payment. This offers some financial safety after a marriage ends. Claim amounts range from $250 to $10,000. Annual premiums cost $102.50 to $610. The idea for marriage insurance developed because of Eniwaye's background in counseling.
Some people have questioned the honesty of the idea. Others have wondered if the insurance is real. Unfortunately, it is.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Marriage is the most important part of adulthood.
- Marriage is the most difficult part of adulthood.
- Too many marriages end in divorce these days.
- I never want to get married!
- I will never get divorced... no matter what!
True or False?: Guess (before the article) or answer (after the article) whether the sentence is true or false. If false, correct the sentence.
- All over the world, roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce.
- Marriage insurance has been around for more than three hundred years.
- People can get as much as $10,000 from marriage insurance.
- Marriage insurance costs only a little more than $100.
- Eniwaye said that marriage insurance is unfortunate.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What are your opinions about marriage? Please explain.
- What do you think about marriage insurance? Please explain.
- Would you buy marriage insurance? Why/not?
- What is the future of marriage? Please explain.
- What advice would you give a couple whose marriage is in trouble?
Google Search: Type "marriage insurance" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.