- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Science and Technology
- Written by Chris Cotter
The Internet has become an important part of most people's lives because it's used for communication, information, and entertainment. Billions of people around the world send e-mails, chat online, read the news, and even play games. However, some people become addicted to the Internet. These people withdraw from the real world and spend more time alone.
Some psychologists state that people who use the Internet too much already have a mental illness. In other words, they already have a gambling problem, or prefer to play games instead of work. However, some psychologists believe Internet addiction is real, and doctors should see it as a mental disease.
South Korea thinks this Internet disorder is serious because children stop going to school to play games online. Even worse, some gamers have died after playing games online for many days without sleep!
In South Korea, there are counseling centers and treatment programs at hospitals for people with an Internet addiction. A rehab center also recently opened too. At the center, as part of a twelve-day program, participants cannot use computers. They may only use a cell phone one hour per day. The program is so popular that people are turned away because there isn't any available space.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Brainstorm: Brainstorm with a partner words and ideas for "addiction" for two minutes. Next, talk about the words and ideas for five minutes.
Fill in the Blanks: Fill in the blank with the correct word.
- These people ( ) from the real world and spend more time alone.
- They already have a gambling problem, or ( ) to play games.
- Doctors should see Internet addiction as a mental ( ).
- South Korea thinks this Internet disorder is ( ).
- As part of a twelve-day program, ( ) cannot use computers.
- People are turned away because there isn't any ( ) space.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- How many hours per day do you use the Internet? Do you think this is too much?
- Why do some people spend too much time on the computer and the Internet?
- Is Internet addiction a real illness? Why/not?
- Do you think you have an addition to the Internet? Why/not?
- What would you do if a family member spent days playing games on the computer?
Google Search: Type "Internet addiction" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.