Are We Living in a Computer?
- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Science and Technology
- Written by Chris Cotter
It may sound very strange, but important physicists and philosophers have suggested that our universe is a computer simulation. That means all people and things aren't real. We are computer code in a virtual reality.
The legitimate theory suggests that an advanced civilization is responsible for running computer simulations. For example, maybe our future descendants want to understand 21st century humans. However, instead of research, maybe these future people are running the computer simulation for entertainment, such as when we play video games. If there is enormous computing power in the future, as expected, then these sorts of simulations would be possible.
Of course, not everyone agrees. And some tech billionaires have begun to fund research to discover the truth. They have also given money to scientists to discover a way to free humankind from the simulation.
Whatever the truth, if we are a computer simulation on someone's computer in the future, let's hope that the program doesn't crash or it isn't switched off.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- I'm very interested in computers and technology.
- I think computers are dangerous.
- We currently live in interesting and exciting times.
- The future will be an interesting and exciting place to live.
- I enjoy playing video games.
Fragments: Remember how the fragments were used, and complete the sentence from today's article.
- It may sound very strange, but important physicists and philosophers...
- For example, maybe our future descendants want...
- If there is enormous computing power in the future, as expected, then...
- They have also given money to scientists to...
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- Do you think we live in a computer simulation? Please explain.
- If we really were in a simulation, would you want to know? Why/not?
- If we really were in a simulation, would you make any changes to your life?
- If we really were in a simulation, how would most people react? Why?
- Would you want to visit a virtual world from history? If yes, what time period?
Google Search: Type "computer simulation" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.